Tuesday, February 26, 2008

MedEvac - February 26, 2008

Called by a village leader in San Pedro Cotija, a rodless village on the Rio Cotija, to pick-up a very sick five-month-old baby girl.

The flight from Mayalan to San Pedro Cotija took .1 hours.

Upon landing I examined the child who seemed particularly quiet, swollen and feverish. Lifting her eye lids I could see that her eyes were rolled back and she did not respond to prodding. The husband, mother and child were loaded and I was assured by the leader that all the pigs and horses were secured and not near the airstrip.

During the climb, the child revived and screamed for the entire .5 hour flight. After landing in Coban, I got a local driver (cab) to take us to the hospital where I dropped them off and asked the husband to try to contact me after the examination. I went from there to the local market for some supplies. The husband never contacted me and I departed a few hours later for Mayalan.


View Larger Map

No comments: